Saturday, January 21, 2012

EDTECH 501 Reflection

 (originally posted May 2, 2010)

With the first required course of my Master of Educational Technology degree nearly complete, I can safely proclaim my experience as a student in EDTECH 501: Introduction to Educational Technology a success. From learning how to navigate the Moodle platform and creating a WordPress blog to researching technology use plans and gathering research on the need for technology integration in schools, the course has provided me a with a healthy balance of practical skills and theory.

As a high school English teacher and former newspaper journalist, I am accustomed to producing documents and providing instruction in MLA (Modern Language Association) and AP (Associated Press) format. This course was my first exposure to APA (American Psychological Association) style. Being required to learn a new style helped me to empathize with my students, who are often exposed to MLA and AP styles for the first time in my classes.

Having taken online graduate classes before for my Master of English Education degree, I was fully aware of the self-discipline needed to succeed in an online class. What I wasn’t prepared for was the tedious balancing act required to succeed in two graduate classes, while also maintaining my responsibilities as a teacher of five high school language arts classes. While it has been challenging, I’ve managed to stay on the tightrope, and am happy to say that the end is in sight.

Creative Commons Image by racoles on Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment