Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Narrative Games 1

This was a fun quest. I remember as a kid being intrigued by "choose your own adventure" books. Having an opportunity to influence the outcome of the story made it more engaging and meaningful. Rocky Ledge was similar.

As I played, I pictured in my head a Resident Evil-style narrative unfolding. Resident Evil is a shooter that makes use of narrative elements, including text. When your character interfaces with the world, you receive a message that describes what your character is looking at, using, or trying to do. Sometimes you'll try to do something and can't. One example is opening a door. Some door locks you can shoot with your gun, while others require a special key.

Rocky Ledge was similar. There were some directions that allowed for greater exploration (a path, the forest, the Great Canyon), while others were simply dead ends that required you to turn around. I definitely felt relief when I was able to move in the direction I desired, and panic when I reached a dead end (mountains, debris, buildings, etc). As I was reading and playing, I cared about my character's ability to roam free and explore the terrain.

One of the chief take-aways from this quest is the investment that narrative games can effect. Right now I am playing the video game Mass Effect 3. I want my character to succeed, and I want to make good choices that up her standing and shape her character in a positive way.

1 comment:

  1. Emotional investment is so important to making effort - and all learning requires effort!

    ReplyDelete