Wednesday, July 4, 2012

EDTECH 542 Week 3 Reflection

This week gave us an opportunity to craft our own driving questions as we began to think deeply about our own project based learning activity. My driving question was "What are the qualities and attributes of successful Pioneer Valley small businesses?"

My project will allow students to choose the small business of their choice and interview the owner in hopes of learning what it is that's allowed that business to succeed. I came up for the idea of this driving question after watching an expeditionary learning video about high school students who interviewed people who had been homeless and created a documentary that shed light on the issue. It was very moving.

The video, and subsequent assignment of crafting a driving question, made me recall an assignment I had in one of my college journalism classes, where I had to get out and interview owners of small "niche" businesses to get a sense of what products and services appealed to the college students of Amherst, Massachusetts.

My PBL activity incorporates elements of this, although unlike myself, where I had to interview three businesses and the director of the local chamber of commerce, I would ask my students to focus only on one business, and really get to know its ins and outs.

No comments:

Post a Comment