Friday, July 27, 2012

Week 6 Reflection - EDTECH 542

One of the greatest challenges for an instructor in a PBL unit is to adapt to the role of facilitator. Reflect on the following:
  • Will my role in the teaching/learning process change?
 In general, I subscribe to a student-centered pedagogical philosophy, so my role in a PBL unit would be similar. I would provide initial instruction, and then act more like a guide, allowing the students to explore, learn, and take charge of their project. When students have questions, my role isn't to answer them - at least initially - but to point them in the direction where they can discover the solutions themselves.
  • What are the skills of effective facilitation?
 An effective facilitator is able to empower his or her students and help them to find the answers they need. A facilitator acts like a "guide on the side," providing support and encouragement, and giving students access to the resources they'll need to succeed.
  • Will the students develop the competancies and skills needed to be successful?
Yes, they will, as they're developing real-world skills which can be applied to a variety of situations and learning contexts.
  • What changes will you need to make in order to become an effective facilitator in your PBL unit?
I think if my style of teaching relied more on direct instruction aka the "sage on the stage," then I would need to undergo a shift as I transferred some of that authority from myself onto the students. Advising a scholastic newspaper where the students are responsible for all content decisions has prepared me well for the facilitator role I'll need to play when overseeing a PBL project.

No comments:

Post a Comment