Sunday, February 19, 2012

Project 1: Multimedia Instruction

One of the reasons I became an English and journalism teacher is because I enjoy reading, writing, and photography. Whenever I need to create instructional materials, I look for opportunities to hone my skills and practice my craft. That was very much the case with this assignment.

I knew I wanted to utilize a predominantly image heavy approach. Once I settled on the topic of panning and photography, I began to envision specific slides I thought would be effective in conveying this technique's chief principles. It didn't take long to realize that  not only would I probably be better off taking my own images, it would be more fun too.

I thought about also mentioning something about shutter speed, and how it can be manipulated to create some dramatic images that convey motion. But because I didn't want to overwhelm my viewer by introducing too much new information, I left out slides on shutter speed.

An effective follow-up to this presentation could be another about the role shutter speed plays in freezing objects and conveying motion, and how panning and shutter speed can work together to create some incredible exposures.

I've noticed it can be easy to throw too much at an audience too soon. Pacing, volume, and sequence matter, and its important to be mindful of them when designing instruction. It's also worth noting that an appropriate and manageable amount of material can be obfuscated if the delivery of that material is not done according to the principles of design.

No comments:

Post a Comment