Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Response to video game 'seduction secrets'

Last spring The Guardian published an article dubbed "The seduction secrets of video game designers." The piece, which was tweeted more than 700 times and "liked" on facebook more than 600, articulated the elements which keep users coming back to games - at the tune of $50 billion annually.

The article also offered insight into the parallel applications of "game seduction" for creators and consumers of online instructional content. Games, and, increasingly, online learning environments, are serving as fertile grounds for learning due to the fact that failure is OK, even welcomed, according to game designer Raph Koster.

As a learner, I speak from experience that some of my greatest and most significant instances of learning occurred after experiencing a setback, understanding why I failed, acquiring new knowledge, and trying the task again with a better understanding of how to proceed.

As a teacher, I need to remember to provide my students with "opportunities to fail," and to not penalize them when they do so. I want my students taking risks, pushing boundaries, and expanding their knowledge and understanding.

Mass Effect 3 Creative Commons image by scorp_stanton on Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment