Saturday, February 4, 2012

VW Explorer: SS Galaxy

I visited the SS Galaxy. I found it underwhelming compared with some other places I've visited in SL. I've found that the "Editor's Picks" can often lead to some incredible destinations. While I understand the novelty of an "event space," and I can see the usefulness of an accompanying website to a Second Life locale, I just didn't see a lot of users at this particular destination when I was there. Also, the "ship" was not as large as it appeared on the website image.

After visiting the Galaxy, I was curious to experience another "aquatic" environment. This other place was an enclosed room under the sea, similar to Atlantis. It too had a similar function, with events at different times, except it was much more populated, and more visually appealing. It would be fascinating to chart the evolution of such hangouts and learn how popular places evolve. What makes a spot "hot?" How does a place grow and gather members, then fade? What are the characteristics of a Second Life spot with staying power?

I look forward to increasing my understanding of SL hangouts, and learning what SL users value in a venue.

No comments:

Post a Comment